Welcome to the World of Home Education and Learning Without School!
We began educating our three children in 1985, when our eldest was aged five years. In truth, we had helped them learn what they need to learn as they grew and explored and discovered this amazing world since the moment they were born. I am a passionate advocate of allowing children to learn unhindered by unnecessary stress and competition, meeting developmental needs in ways that suit their individual learning styles and preferences. Ours was a homeschooling, unschooling and natural learning family! There are hundreds of articles on this site to help you build confidence as a home educating family. I hope that your home educating adventure is as satisfying as ours was!
Choosing the Curriculum That's Right for You!
Linda Maher, Exploring Approaches to Home Education Seminar, Adelaide 2008
Some of the more common homeschooling methods are:
- Pre-packaged Curricula
- Classical Education
- Charlotte Mason
- Unit Studies
- Natural Learning
- The Eclectic Homeschool
Determining Your Style
- Why are you homeschooling?
- What content knowledge, skills, and/or relationships should you cultivate in your children?
- What do you want your children to learn?
- What skills will they need to be ready to be on their own?
- Understand the differences in worldviews
To help decide on which methods to employ, it is helpful to consider:
- Your preferred teaching style
- Your children's learning styles
- Religious Beliefs
- Number of Children (texts, workbooks, etc.)
- Time available
- Cost / Budget
- Support Groups
Points to Remember:
- What works for you may not work for another homeschool mum
- If it's working, stick with it!
- Different children may require different approaches
- If it is not working, either keep it for future use with another child, or make use of the 2 nd -hand resources board, and sell it!
Curriculum is more than just Academics
- Good curriculum should also teach life skills and character-building
- Remember, your curriculum is your TOOL to help accomplish your homeschooling goals; you are in charge - never let the curriculum 'rule' you.
Trust in your choices
- Trust in your choices - you know your child better than anyone
- Talk to others - ask questions - read, read, read
- Remember - everyone is different, everyone, authors included, has their own opinion on how things 'should' be done.
- No right way or wrong way to homeschool.
- Many great products out there - respect them, but accept that some simply do not work with your family.
- While browsing, write things down - decide later if need be .
Before you purchase a resource, ask yourself:
- Does it suit my homeschool philosophy?
- Is this resource going to be time-consuming?
- Is it within my budget?
- How much structure does it offer (and does that suit me)?
- Does it comply with my values and religious beliefs?
- Is the resource a good "fit" for my child's learning style?
Homeschooling is a journey - we all learn as we go
Homeschooling is Diverse.
- Research the various methods and Learning Styles
- Take an in-depth look at those that interest you.
- Then, look at resources that fit within your educational philosophy
- Make a Plan - Set Your Goals
- Purchase a few selections
- Begin - and have fun!
The choice is YOURS!
Was this article helpful? Was it worth $1.00 to you?
Your gift of $1 or more helps to keep this site operating
and reassurance to families
better outcomes for their children.
Together with the support of my family, my aim is to help parents educate their children in stress-free, nurturing environments. In addition to building and maintaing this website, I continue to create and manage local and national home educating networks, help to organise conferences and camps, as well as write for, edit and produce newsletters, resource directories and magazines. I am an active support of national, state, regional and local home education groups.
"You've been an inspiration to me, I love the way
you really listen to people." Vanessa
"Whenever I read your writing I always come away
with increased confidence in my ability to provide and
share a wonderful learning journey with my family!" Davina
"Your guidance, understanding, support and words of
wisdom changed our lives. We now offer support and
organise many homeschooling events for others." Lesley
"Thank you once again for your prompt and friendly service.
I am convinced that your books are going to add
quality and peace of mind to my journey of teaching my kids
at home! Just from studying your website, until almost
in the morning, I 've been encouraged!" Louisa
"Thank you for all your many,many reassuring words
over many, many years. You probably don't know exactly how
valuable you are to the Australian Home Education community.
I've been reading your stuff for maybe 8 years or more now.
And I'm very grateful." Gythaa
A gift of any size, small or large, is greatly appreciated.
By contributing, even as little as $1, you are helping to inform, encourage, reassure and support parents live closer, happier lives with their children.
I am currently giving this site a much needed facelift!
If you experience difficultiess accessing any page can you
please email me the link? Thank you.
The information on this website is of
a general nature only and is not intended
as personal or professional advice.
This site merges and incorporates
'Homeschool Australia' and 'Unschool Australia'.
Advertise with The Educating Parent
Without revenue from advertising
educational suppliers and Google Ads
we could not continue to provide information
to home educators. Please support us by letting
our advertisers know
that you found them on
The Educating Parent. Thanks!