HomeAbout Blog Articles Curriculum Resource Directory Shop Kids Pages Facebook
Download our FREE The Educating Parent Resource Directories today! Plus... more FREE resources!
Support Groups: National SA VIC NSW QLD TAS ACT NT
Looking for support, reassurance and information?
Beverley Paine, Feb 2014
On the Unschool Australia support group a mum asked:
"Can you please give my 5 reasons why you decided to unschool?"
1) unschooling made sense, trying to come up with reasons why my children should learn this or that to suit the school curriculum was often difficult, sometimes impossible - "learn it because one day you might need it or because it is the only way to get a 'good' job" sounded hollow and really not what I thought education was about;
2) it was working anyway, my children were learning just as much when I wasn't teaching them;
3) school-at-home was producing the same kind of behavioural problems and reluctance to learn that I saw in schooled children, and the carrot and the stick approach to coercing them to do the work wasn't working;
4) unschooling is super-efficient learning: I noticed that what my children learned on their own terms in their own way and at their own pace was retained and frequently used, unlike the school stuff I'd been trying to teach them. What goes in, stays in!
5) the focus on life, on simply living and living as a basis for learning, not schooling, naturally built skills across all areas of life, making for competent, cooperative, independent children who were confident to participate, as well as critical thinkers and problem solvers. That all happened naturally - they didn't have to be taught how to think or study or learn. Cool eh?
Was this article helpful? Was it worth $1.00 to you? Your gift of $1 or more helps to keep this site operating offering encouragement and reassurance to families wanting better outcomes for their children.
Beverley Paine with her children, and their home educated children, relaxing at home.
Together with the support of my family, my aim is to help parents educate their children in stress-free, nurturing environments. In addition to building and maintaing this website, I continue to create and manage local and national home educating networks, help to organise conferences and camps, as well as write for, edit and produce newsletters, resource directories and magazines. I am an active supporter of national, state, regional and local home education groups.
Want to learn how to write your own education plans to suit
Welcome to the World of Home Education
We began educating our children in 1985, when our eldest was five. In truth, we had helped them learn what they need to learn since they were born. I am a passionate advocate of allowing children to learn unhindered by unnecessary stress and competition, meeting developmental needs in ways that suit their individual learning styles and preferences. Ours was a homeschooling, unschooling and natural learning family! There are hundreds of articles on this site to help you build confidence as a home educating family. We hope that your home educating adventure is as satisfying as ours was! Beverley Paine
Australia's premier online annual conferences, lifetime access to video and audio recordings, freebies, notes and associated resource guides.
EVERY SUMMIT IS UNIQUE!
$29 each 2023 2022 2021
"Biggest and best Aussie homeschool event of the year!"
The information on this website is of a general nature only and is not intended as personal or professional advice. This site merges and incorporates 'Homeschool Australia' and 'Unschool Australia'.
The Educating Parent acknowledges the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Owners, the Custodians of Australia, and pay our respects to Elders past and present and extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people viewing this website.
Home education is a legal alternative
Without revenue from advertising
About The Educating Parent
Thank you for visiting!
Beverley Paine, The Educating Parent
The opinions and articles included on this website are not necessarily those of Beverley and Robin Paine,
nor do they endorse or recommend products listed in contributed articles, pages, or advertisements.
This website uses browsing cookies and conducts other means to collect user information in order to display contextual ads.
Text and images on this site © All Rights Reserved 1999-2023.