Welcome to the World of Home Education and Learning Without School!
We began educating our three children in 1985, when our eldest was aged five years. In truth, we had helped them learn what they need to learn as they grew and explored and discovered this amazing world since the moment they were born. I am a passionate advocate of allowing children to learn unhindered by unnecessary stress and competition, meeting developmental needs in ways that suit their individual learning styles and preferences. Ours was a homeschooling, unschooling and natural learning family! There are hundreds of articles on this site to help you build confidence as a home educating family. I hope that your home educating adventure is as satisfying as ours was!
Personalising Homeschool Curriculum: From the Learner's Perspective
© Beverley Paine June 2006
Efficient learning arises when learners have meaningful and considered input into designing curriculum. Sitting down and asking your children what they expect to get out of their homeschooling experiences is a good starting place for involving your children in the process of deliberately personalising their homeschool learning programs. Record their thoughts and feelings as you go. Your list of expectations might look something like this:
As a learner I expect:
- To be considered as an individual with far-reaching potential irrespective of age, gender, disability, ethnicity or socio-economic status;
- To take joint responsibility for my learning;
- To have a say in determining what, when, how and why I learn;
- To be offered choices which are meaningful to me and in context with my life experiences;
- To receive guidance in developing the personal and social skills and attributes necessary to make sensible and useful choices about my education;
- To be supported to co-design my own curriculum and learning goals;
- To make and use connections between the skills, knowledge and insights I develop as I grow and learn;
- To be supported to take risks as I learn;
- To have access to learning that will prepare me for full participation in adult life;
- To have access to different teaching and learning approaches and resources, including people, which meet my intellectual, physical, social, emotional and spiritual needs;
- To reflect upon what, how, why and when I am learning at times and the resources I use to learn so that I can make informed decisions about my future learning;
- To achieve recognition for learning that enables me to progress within the wider community.
Was this article helpful? Was it worth $1.00 to you?
Your gift of $1 or more helps to keep this site operating
and reassurance to families
better outcomes for their children.
Together with the support of my family, my aim is to help parents educate their children in stress-free, nurturing environments. In addition to building and maintaing this website, I continue to create and manage local and national home educating networks, help to organise conferences and camps, as well as write for, edit and produce newsletters, resource directories and magazines. I am an active support of national, state, regional and local home education groups.
"You've been an inspiration to me, I love the way
you really listen to people." Vanessa
"Whenever I read your writing I always come away
with increased confidence in my ability to provide and
share a wonderful learning journey with my family!" Davina
"Your guidance, understanding, support and words of
wisdom changed our lives. We now offer support and
organise many homeschooling events for others." Lesley
"Thank you once again for your prompt and friendly service.
I am convinced that your books are going to add
quality and peace of mind to my journey of teaching my kids
at home! Just from studying your website, until almost
in the morning, I 've been encouraged!" Louisa
"Thank you for all your many,many reassuring words
over many, many years. You probably don't know exactly how
valuable you are to the Australian Home Education community.
I've been reading your stuff for maybe 8 years or more now.
And I'm very grateful." Gythaa
A gift of any size, small or large, is greatly appreciated.
By contributing, even as little as $1, you are helping to inform, encourage, reassure and support parents live closer, happier lives with their children.
I am currently giving this site a much needed facelift!
If you experience difficultiess accessing any page can you
please email me the link? Thank you.
The information on this website is of
a general nature only and is not intended
as personal or professional advice.
This site merges and incorporates
'Homeschool Australia' and 'Unschool Australia'.
Advertise with The Educating Parent
Without revenue from advertising
educational suppliers and Google Ads
we could not continue to provide information
to home educators. Please support us by letting
our advertisers know
that you found them on
The Educating Parent. Thanks!